Family History in Sydney, NSW

Warringah Shire Mayor - John Frederick Duffy (1863-1950)

My second great grandfather John Duffy was the mayor (then called president) and served in the first Warringhah shire council from 1906, he was re-elected in 1908, 1911, 1914 and 1917 his photo resides on the walls of the Warringah shire council building today. He married Sarah Martha Horn at Waterloo in 1894. John and Sarah had a son John Fredrick who served in WWI and a daughter Elvy Margaret Duffy (my great grandmother) (1896-1981). 


Sarah Duffy (My Nan's grandmother), Jack Duffy, Elvy Duffy (My Nan's Mother) and John F Duffy (Nan's grandfather).

Mona Vale Orchard

He was also an orchardist at Mona Vale. Family photos of John Duffy at his orchard.

Patrick Duffy - Duffy's Forest (suburb in the Northern Beaches)


Paddy's Markets, Sydney City (1930s-1990s)

Paddy's Market and Hay St, Haymarket in Sydney in 1929.


PITT STREET AT HAYMARKET 1893

The Sydney Markets 1788 - 1988 ; by Michael Christie

Elvy Byrne at her sock market.

My great great grandmother  (Name, Name) worked at Paddy's marketing selling flowers approx dates (?). 

My grandmother, Elvy Margaret Clegg (1936) also worked at Paddy's Markets from 1970 to 1993 selling socks, she is featuring above in the The Sydney Markets hard cover book. 

William Horn
William Louis Ebradt Horn
1833–1907. 3rd great grandfather. 
Perhaps was spelt Wilhem or Wilhelm when in Germany. When William Louis Ebradt Horn was born in 1833, his father, Charles, was 18 and his mother, Agnes, was 18 in Stetten, Germany. He immigrated to Sydney in 1858 (age 25) as a master mariner, and married at age 32 to Martha Cheetham on 4 December 1865 in Sydney. They had 12 children in 21 years (from ages 33 to 55). Hi wife Martha died at age 46 when their youngest daughter was 3. William died on 6 October 1907 in Waterloo, New South Wales, at the age of 74, and was buried in New South Wales.
His story.

His address was always 1 Union Street, Waterloo. I would like to see a photo of the original residence if anyone can source this. 




Petrol Station, Dee Why

My grandfather and grandmother owned the petrol station at approximately 22 Fisher Road Dee Why in the 1960s and 1970s(?). My father Stephen Wilson worked there for a short time after he met my mother. At the same time my grandmother also ran a seamstress business from home sewing underwear. My grandfather was then the manager of Life line for many years in his senior years. 

My grandfather's (John Byrne) chair, (name) beach, Narrabeen

John Gordon Byrne (1932) passed away in 2013, and his children built him this chair in memorial.
(photo to come).

Dee Why Today (2022)

My grandmother still lives at Dee Why and is very much a local with a story in nearly every street.
My two uncles also live at Mona Vale and Dee Why.

(My Nanna and I, Winter 2022)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MyHeritage DNA

Genetic Ancestry